Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A request

Life's been a little less stressful round here as Joel has been mostly happy for the last week. He's still had a few bouts of unexplained discomfort/pain, but mostly he's been full of smiles and laughs in the way that only he has.

It was still a bit of a heavy week. Two children from the PBD support group passed away recently. It's hard to explain what that is like. While your pain is NOTHING compared to what the parents are going through, in a small way if feels like your own child has died. It makes you think/feel some of the emotions you know will be your own someday. I always feel so helpless, being so far away from these fellow travellers on this crazy road. I'd like to go and cry with them, but I can't. So for a few days, there is a knot of anxiety in my belly and some tears here and there.

Steve and I have been trying to work some more things out, for when Joel dies, so we won't be left with the stress of trying to do it while we are hit with his loss. It's not the most fun I've ever had. Right now we are looking into finding a cemetery plot to purchase. Something I don't really want to do right now, but I want to have to do it even less in the days immediately after Joel dies.

More and more, I am aware of the many people around me who are also broken and in pain. Friends and church members who've lost husbands. People with sick or dying children. Families struggling to stay together. It seems like it is all around me, suddenly. Of course, my heart also hurts worse, now, when I do hear about it. Because now I understand pain ever so much better.

And I have a request for the people who live close by and for some crazy reason care about me. I've gotten better at making requests. I've realized that it's not just poor husbands who live with the burden of unspoken wishes. You know, when you think "Surely he KNOWS what would help me/make me happy/be a good gift...___________ (fill in the blank)" And we do that to people too. At least, I have. I don't want to have to ask for anything. Too proud. I just want people to offer "if they REALLY want to" and the tried and true test for that is by not mentioning anything, just waiting to see if they can read my mind or divine it from my life.

So, I'm learning not to do that. I'm learning that people (just like me) don't always know what you would like or need, no matter how much they care or want to help. So, I'm going to tell you something.

Please don't wait until Joel DIES to comfort me. What I mean is, I have this feeling that when Joel dies, people will come over to help. They will bring food. They will bring coffee. They will offer help. They will offer to take care of Caeden. They will offer to take me out or sit and listen or cry with me.

These are all good things. I might need some of that, after Joel dies. But in a strange way, I think I might need it just as much or more as we get slowly nearer to the final stages of Joel dying. I don't know how to explain this very well. Dying is so hard. Watching someone you love die is so hard. Watching someone you love who is a wee child die is excruciating.

People have been so great when Joel is in hospital. I am very, very grateful. My case coordinator can't believe how people will babysit for me or help me out. It is really amazing.

And every time there is an illness or problem, it seems more and more serious. I'm asking for a difficult thing here. I'm asking for something that most people can't, or won't do. I'm asking my best friends to be in this for the long haul, and they will likely get precious little in return...

Because Joel's dying could take months. I mean, there could be months of in and out of the hospital. Months of losing more and more strength. Months of fixing problem after problem. Needing more oxygen. Who knows??

So I'm asking you all to walk with me through it. I mean, I can't think of asking for something more difficult. I'm asking you to walk with me through the fire. I'm asking you to "debrief" me after hospital stays, by which I mean come over and talk it out with me. I'm asking you to listen to me go on and on about Joel's health and how much it hurts and about what scares me about his death. I'm asking you to visit when he's in hospital and I'm asking you to visit when he's out of hospital. Maybe when I'm having a rough week, take me out for coffee in the evening, or just sit WITH me while I hold my unhappy child and maybe even cry. I'm asking you to send me emails to encourage me, maybe a verse or two if you have found one you like. I'm even asking you to ask me the "hard" questions. Some of this you are doing already, I can't thank you enough... I'm just afraid I might need "more" of it soon...

I've been trying to think of what sort of questions those "hard" questions are, what sort of things you could ask or say to get me to unlock my box of grief and let it out. It's hard to make a list. And it sounds hideous to write it out. But yes, I really do want you to ask me even hard things. A good friend who had a baby at the start of the summer was brave enough to ask me if it would bother me when she had the baby. She wanted to know if I was going to avoid her because it was too painful. I was grateful for her honesty. I crave it. We had a good discussion about it. And I was happy to get a visit from her, baby and all. So I do want you to ask me the hard questions, even if they are about Joel's death.

And really, truly, please come by to pray with me. I crave this as well. I don't know how hard it might be to pray after Joel is gone, but I can pray now, so please, come and pray with me.

I've been praying really hard that God will take Joel with out a long and lingering death. I'm asking Him to take Joel "suddenly" if possible, at the end of the good days he has left. But I don't know if God's going to say yes to that one. So even if it takes months and months, I'm asking for some TLC grief care in those nails on a chalkboard of my heart kind of months where my life might be nothing but sickness and sadness weaving in and out.

In asking you this, I'm asking for quite a feat of friendship endurance. I feel guilty asking for it. But still, here I am, asking you, even though I have a good idea of what it might cost you to join in my life and my grief. I can only hope I'll be as good a friend to you in your time of need, and yes, I promise, if I can "pay you back," I will.

May God bless you as you have already given so much to me, as Jesus said "good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over..." (Luke 6:38)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen...just so you know...I'm in for the long haul. Consider my hat in the game.

    It's funny isn't it how we really in a way expect people to read our minds and just know what we need so we don't have to ask for it. I know that I have expected it and have been disappointed when I don't get the kind of support I think family/friends should just know that I need. It is just that is gets so exhausting to have to ask for it all time and then to feel that you have asked for too much.

    Believe me that what you are asking for is NOT too much. And yes...friends/family will be there for you in all the ways that you mention when Joel has gone to be with Jesus and my Graham. But...quite frankly...we really do need that extra help/support ALL of the time. It is not just the 1 time kind gesture or the in the time of immediate crisis (although appreciated and needed too)...but it is ALL the time.

    And no...we don't expect everyone to put their lives on hold to be there for us...but we do need just a little bit extra. And...that little bit extra needs to extend beyond the loss...because...we will never be completely "ok".

    So...I will be there for you as much as I can. And...like you...I am beginning to get over the feeling of guilt I have for asking...because I myself am going to be doing alot more of it..the asking that is.

    Friends/family want me to be "ok" and in order for that to happen...I am going to start asking more of their help in it all.

    I know that we are "distance-ly" challanged, but I want to be the best mental support system to you that I can.

    Take care my friend and all God's blessings to you, to Joel, to Steve, and to Caeden.

    Tracy
    'Angel' Graham's Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I was closer to you...even though I only know yout through this blog...I would come sit with you. The power of that alone is amazing. When I have had loss or tragedy in my life, it was those that just stepped in and walked with me or sat with me through it that really touched me the most. I forgot about the meals and the "after" thoughts....but for those that jumped in when the going was tough....they are forever my rocks and hold a special place in my heart. I will be with you in spirit.

    I will be honest...on my daily blog checks...I sometimes come to yours and stop for a moment...because your journey is one that I know will end in Joel's death and I have to stop and think..."Am I ready to hear what she has to say today? Could this be the day that he turns and the end looks near?" But then I have to slap myself and say...Karen doesn't get a choice in what she has to face today....so go and read because at least then, I will know what to pray for. And I know the power of prayer....so I read, and I pray. And if I could...I would take you to coffee or sit and pray with you. But I can't. But know I am out here, following along and when you ask for those prayer requests...I abide and pray along with you.

    Cyber hugs.
    Karaleen

    ReplyDelete