Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Friday, November 12, 2010

Appointments! Nix! Nix!!

Appointments drive me crazy. I mean, they are really starting to drive me nuts. I cancel as many of them as I feel I can, because I can't help but feel that they are, for the most part, useless.

I mean, I won't ever cancel an audiologist appointment. That has a definite purpose, to check Joel's hearing, and if he needs hearing aids that will bring him a big improvement in his quality of life. I'm going in to his neurologist, because I have some questions and discussion that will just be better "in person" instead of trying to do it all on the phone. What I hate about that appointment is that I have to bring Joel to it. That part is pretty pointless. Unlikely that she'll actually see any of the stuff I'm talking about in the small half an hour window we are there. Still, I gotta dress him up and haul him out there, interrupting feeding schedules and causing him the misery of car seat and snow suit and all.

I'm developing a bad attitude about it all. Today the endocrinologist's office called to try and change Joel's appointment to 1pm from 11:30. Thing is, I managed to get two appointments in one day. Neurology at 8:50 and then the endo appointment. At least there are two in one day so it's one trip, though we'll have a two hour wait between appointments and I'll have to bring along his noon meal and feed it to him while we wait between appointments. But 1pm??? AAAAAGH. Seriously, now we are supposed to hang around for three and a half hours??? Or go home and then come back later?? This feels nuts, I feel nuts!!! I am so, so, so tired of appointments, appointments, appointments and for what?? Ask a few questions, let Joel get prodded, agree that everything is same-same and then go home.

So I wasn't too crazy about the time change and the receptionist is going to get back to me. If she tells me that 1pm is the only slot, I'm NOT GOING IN FOR IT! Seriously, the answer is NO. Just phone me at home and ask your questions.

I have an appointment with the metabolic doctor not quite two weeks from now. Know what? I'm thinking of cancelling that one too. Frustrating thing is, the ONE TIME I REALLY WANT to see him is when we are in the hospital. That's when he could help me out by discussing with me how Joel's PBD could be affecting the situation/treatment/symptoms, etc, etc. But he doesn't show up then because he's too busy and he knows other docs are "taking care" of the situation. Well guess what? I'm TOO BUSY just surviving to come into another appointment where we just chat about how things are going and I am ONCE AGAIN asked if I have enough respite/support.

This is what me POCIC's are talking about when we say "THE SYSTEM." (How do you like the acronym? Parents of Chronically Ill Children.) The fact that we are supposed to keep a plethora of appointments the large percentage of which do not really assists us, other than making sure we can still recognize the doctor's face is just one of those things that drive us (or maybe it's just me!) stark raving bonkers. The fact that "the system" keeps my doctors too busy to come in and see us when we really need them, which is when we are in hospital. And when everything is going well, when I really just want to enjoy the good times we are having, THEN they want me to come in and see them.

Just a little rant, to get it out of my system. As time goes on, appointments get more and more crazy-making. Because when we are well, we DON'T want to see the hospital or doctors. Because as time goes on, it (time) also becomes more and more valuable. Because as Joel gets worse, appointments are harder and harder to keep.

So, to try and end on a more positive note, let me tell you that the palliative care team will come into my home for a home visit. The doctors or nurse will come in to my home if there is any problem or concern with Joel. Pretty wonderfully old fashioned. And such a huge relief.

1 comment:

  1. I suddenly don't feel so bad about having to book a second appointment for the cable guy and another 4 hour wait (morning or afternoon... my choice!) just because he didn't want to go back to the shop and get it last time. It's all relative.

    -Zac

    ReplyDelete