Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Monday, April 4, 2011

House Pets

You know, if grief were an animal, it would NOT be a dog. It doesn't come when you call it. It doesn't sit around your feet when you are at home alone and feeling contemplative. You can't call it out when you have company and show them all it's "tricks." -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Grief would be a cat. It has a mind of it's own. It runs off when company arrives and hides under the bed. No matter how much you'd like it to appear when you are safely in the company of friends or family members, it is no where to be found. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Instead it appears suddenly out of now where, dashing under your feet and tripping you up. It paces around you, meowing loudly when you are trying to concentrate on a task. Feed me, it wails loudly. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------It's the sort of animal that refuses to sit nicely and calmly on your lap when you are ready. Instead, it wakes you early in the morning by sitting on your face and suffocating you with it's fur. It digs its claws into your shoulder until going back to sleep is impossible, and this after a night out caterwauling on your back fence and keeping you awake. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yeah. Grief (no offence to cat lovers) would be a cat. It has a mind of it's own. It's not welcome in other people's yards, and they get upset when they see evidence that you have let it roam free there. They feel you should keep it safely in your own home. If left to itself too long, though, it might shred your curtains, instead of the scratching post. It wants attention when it decides, and on it's own terms, and heaven forbid if you forget that. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I wish it wasn't like that. I wish that when I was out and about surrounded by strangers, the tears wouldn't come. I wish so much that I could cry at home from looking at Joel's things, instead of crying at the restaurant when I see a cute little boy about Joel's age. I wish I could cry and feel bad when people call me to check in, instead of feeling better and being ok. And that the bad moments would not turn up just before bed. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Grief is not a co-operative house guest though. It sets the rules, not the other way around. The best thing is to set your mind on just going with the flow, as hard as that can be. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I wish (ok, maybe not really, but sort of ) that our society adopted the tradition of shaving of the head when someone died. Then it would just be out there. And if I cried in public, no one would wonder. They'd know immediately - she's lost someone. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Why does grief make us so uncomfortable? It is a natural and normal part of life. Seriously, who makes it through life without every meeting it? If only I felt more comfortable with it myself. But I'm working on it. After all, when you have a cat, whatcha gonna do?

4 comments:

  1. Karen...your cat analogy is perfect....grief is a ficcle feline for sure. I remember sitting at a red light on my mother's last day of life...I had to go out for something and as I was sitting there....I kept thinking...do the people in the cars next to me even realize that my life is changing in this very momemt? Do they see the grief on my face and wonder why that girl looks so sad? Or...did I even look sad? It was just so weird to see all the happenings of life whizzing by me as mine was in the midst of a huge and sad change.

    Although I only know you through this blog, I am praying daily for your peace and comfort during this time. I remember the nights being particularly bad after my mom's death and after my miscarriage of twins...the thoughts (ie the cat) creep in and steal your sleep from you when sleep is all you want to just take you away for awhile.

    Many hugs.
    karaleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this analogy is perfect. New to your blog and this is the only post I've read of yours (I will certainly endeavour to go back and read the rest). But wow, I will be thinking about this post for a long time. You've absolutely nailed it.
    Much love to you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lost my dad very suddenly at the age of 22 (he was only 46) I actually wished I could wear black and have a sign that said "my dad died!" just so people could see on the outside all the pain I was feeling on the inside. Of course I didn't do that but sometimes the pain welled up and overflowed and it could be seen on the outside just as easily as if I had been wearing that sign, and sometimes it still does. The act of mourning is something our society likes to avoid and for some reason tends to be a taboo but however you mourn is just fine and completely normal for you. And that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for the loss of your little man...

    Your cat analogy made me laugh and cry - it is so true.

    Thinking of you.

    Bridg

    ReplyDelete