Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Final Chapter of My Dad's Life Here.

My Dad died today around noon.  His family was with him.  His breathing had changed in the early part of the night, and continued to vary into the day.  Just before noon, he partially opened his eyes, as sometimes seems to happen in these cases, as if he knew he was about to go.  We all stood around him, and we took of the O2 mask so my Mom could kiss him and he could get better "hugs."  We kept telling him how we loved him and that it was ok to go home.

And just as my son did, almost three months ago, my Dad's breathing slowed, and became sporadic.  After a few minutes, his breathing died away completely, and he was gone.

I was at the hospital last night, by about 9pm.  He still was responsive for a little bit at that time, but when he fell asleep, he slept deeply.  He did not cough or stir during the night.  He was, finally, very peaceful in the end.  He even told my Mom that evening that he felt really at peace. 

He discomfort seemed to end sometime that evening.  He fell into a deep sleep. He was not responsive, nor did he move, until the last few minutes of his life when his eyes partly opened.  When we took off his O2 mask, an expression flitted across his face, he seemed aware it was gone, and I think he was glad.  He knew he was not going to need it any longer.  I think he was aware of the kisses and hugs...

I will, of course, post details about the funeral, and etc., at a later time.

Thanks for all the prayers.  I am so thankful that my Dad could good so peaceful and gently at the end...



5 comments:

  1. All God's Blessing to you, your mom, your 'Angel' Joel, your entire family, and of course to your dad. I am so very sorry that you have to suffer through this so soon after Joel. I am sure that is just so very hard.

    But...I can't help but think that God allowed your dad to be here just long enough so he could be there for you and for Joel before he himself was called home. Ya know...I believe that is also why my Ken survived his heart attack (one they call the widow maker) because God's plan was for him to be here for his son. Just as your dad was here for his daughter.

    I wish that you all had been able to have that summer together that you wanted. I am sad with you. As heartbroken as I am sure you all are, I can't help but smile when I imagine the joy that must have filled the Heavens when your Joel was able to welcome your dad home and hug him with his perfect, healthy arms while standing on his own two strong, sturdy, feet, and speaking the words "I love you grandpa" with his own perfect lips.

    You all continue to be in our prayers! God Bless my friend!

    Tracy
    'Angel' Graham's Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your Dad`s passing. I am sure you all miss him terribly, but we rejoice he is not suffering anymore. We will keep praying for your whole family as you plan for the funeral and face the days, months, and years ahead. How thankful we are that your Dad trusted in Jesus and that believers have the eternal sure hope of seeing him again. May the LORD of all comfort grant you His peace which passes all understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so, so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad almost 9 years ago, so this is a pain that is all too familiar. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I am so, so sorry... Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen...just logging on after a weekend away from the computer. So sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Your description was touching and I am so happy he was peaceful and comfortable. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Many hugs.
    Karaleen

    ReplyDelete