Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Midwife

In a sudden turn of events, I am now under the care of a midwife!

I didn't expect it or even think it was possible at this late date.  But what a blessing from the good Lord God!  It's a bit of a story, so I'm going to leave out most of the details, but a friend of mine who got pregnant a little bit ago was talking to her midwife about me.  And how I didn't get a midwife. 

And her midwife told her to tell me she'd take me on!

So I found out on Thursday night that I was now officially under the care of a midwife.   On Friday morning, my OBGYN's office called me to reschedule my appointment on Monday, and I could just tell them that was not necessary!

My first appointment was today.  Sorry, because I am going to gush a bit, I know.  Again, really sorry in advance.  But it was just such a blessing!  I know that Dr. M. is a very good OBGYN, but I know that the appointment today would have been so very different with him.

Instead, I met my midwife, C. and she is really great.  She asked me to tell her the story of my previous two births, and so I could tell her the story of Joel.  I brought some pictures for her to look at.  We discussed a lot of stuff.  I was there just over an hour, and it was so good to be so relaxed and just talk it all over with her.    I think she is going to be a great fit for our family (and especially me).   It is really hard to explain the difference between this appointment and what a doctors appointment would have been like, if you have never had both to compare.

I had my cry and I didn't have to feel bad or awkward about it.  I know that by the time Baby comes, her and I will know each other quite well.  And she'll make sure I know the two other midwives she works with.  They too will know and understand our story.  This is a great comfort to me.  I will be able to relax during labour knowing that when Baby arrives, I don't have to worry about how a doctor is going to deal with things.

We got a tour of the birth centre and man, is it nice!  The hot tubs are HUGE because they do water births if you so wish.  I seriously think that if I sat in one of the tubs, you could fill the water right up to my neck.  Caeden was impressed too, because when we got home I asked him how he liked C and he said he wanted to have a really big hot tub.  Imagine his disappointment when I had to tell him that would be for me, not him.  The beds are double beds, so that Steve could come snuggle up with me and Baby after she arrives.

Steve was totally sold on the birth centre, but we still have not made any firm decisions either way.  We have some discussion ahead of us about it all.  C let Caeden have the Doppler and he got to put it on my tummy to hear the Baby's heartbeat.  He was quietly thrilled.  Baby had a nice strong heartbeat.  She seemed to be lying head down, but then, she still has lots of wiggle room in there.

And, oddly enough, my blood pressure was still OK.  I can't believe it, because the morning actually started of way short of ideal.  Of course, I keep expecting some sort of stress/anxiety to show up regarding the health of this Baby.  Then there are the other, more common, forms of stress about a Baby coming.  I've been sick for just about a week and I'm feeling awful.  I woke up at 4 am, got back to bed at 5am, and then got woken up again at 6am when a car horn/alarm went off.  I'm congested, and I have a cough that makes my sides hurt.  I have almost completely lost my voice too.  I finally fell back asleep at about 7 or 7:30, and then I was woken up at 8:30 to get ready for the appointment.  We were running 5 minutes late, and then when we got to where we thought the appointment was, there was a mistake and we had to go 15 minutes further.  If there was ever a morning for high blood pressure to show up, this was it!

I haven't been in the greatest of moods since getting sick, and I was really ready to cry several times this morning.  But once we got to the appointment, everything changed.  I love midwives.  We were 20 minutes late and you know, I really believed C when she said she didn't mind and I should never worry about running late. 

OK, thanks for letting me gush on and on about it.  I know it is kind of boring details when it isn't happening to you.  Like seeing tons of wallet pictures of the kids.  But I felt so blessed today, it was such a relief and I wanted to share something good, and say how grateful I am to God for taking care of my needs, and even some of my wants.   And I know a lot of people were praying for me about this, so thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I am SO THRILLED for you that you get to experience what it's like to be under the care of a midwife. It is sooo different from a doctor. My midwife experience was incredible, and I hope yours will continue to be awesome. The birthing centre sounds awesome. (okay...i just reread this and saw I had actually typed "birthday centre", so I fixed it, but I kind of like birthday centre :-)

    ReplyDelete