Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Thursday, May 19, 2011

Joel's Garden: Pictures.

Today the weather was good, and Steve was not subbing.  So we bought a few more flowers and took them out to Joel's grave, or Garden.  As I like to see it.

I think it looks beautiful, and hope as all gardeners do that today was the day it looked it's worst, and that it only grows more beautiful in time.  So here are the pictures of it.  Isn't it amazing, the difference from the last time you saw it to now?  Green grass and flowers.  I LOVE it!!





I cried when I planted the flowers, but this is really not a "sad" place for me.  It is a remembering place, and remembering brings tears.  But I love these flowers, for not only are they beautiful, but they are ALIVE.  And I remember that under this patch of ground is a husk, a shell, that enclosed my son's life.  He has abandoned that shell now, but the living part, the seed, was transplanted just like these flowers.  And my son is blooming somewhere else.  These flowers are a reminder of that truth.

Still, I miss him.  Two years is such a short time to hold such a small little person...

7 comments:

  1. That is SO beautiful...it honestly made me cry. We are still praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Joel's garden with me. I am so glad we got to visit today --- it was a reminder of all the good that comes out of this crummy disorder. I am so thankful Joel and Sam led us to one another. Big hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful! Our little local cemeteries don't allow plantings of any kind. It's actually against the (state?) law to dig a hole of any kind in a cemetery without the proper permits - even if you are just planting a flower. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. So much nicer than any gravesite I have ever seen. I'm glad you have a place to remember your sweet boy. I loved what you said about him blooming elsewhere..that is so true.
    kd

    ReplyDelete
  5. wondering if this is a good day today when you crossed my mind. I pray that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is truely beautiful Karen. I wish that I was able to plant flowers like that. Like you tend to the flowers, I also tend to Graham's spot...keeping the grass green, his stone and bench polished, and arranging his things. It is the only way that I can now still "tend" to Graham's needs and take care of him in the physical sense. Graham's place to me is also not a sad place, but a remembering place. And, yes, sometimes those memories bring tears.

    Ken and I often go now without the boys to spend some alone time together with Graham. We talk, we hug, we laugh, we cry...we remember together. Very healing and very peaceful. I am glad that Joel's garden brings you joy and sweet memories and that you too can still tend to Joel's needs.

    All God's Blessings, (((Hugs))), and 'Angel' Graham blow kisses to you.

    Tracy
    'Angel' Graham's Momma

    ReplyDelete