Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Sunday, May 1, 2011

Snow

Today is May 1st, and this morning, yes, as forecast, the ground is once again covered in snow...  ugh.

Today at 2pm there is a memorial service that Children's Hospital puts on to "remember" all the children that they have worked with who have died this past year.  We could have ask them to defer this to next year if it was "too soon" for us, but I really wanted to go. 

Particularly because I will be in a group of people who have at some point this last year or two found themselves plunged into the same county I now find myself.  Even if everyone is too shy or tearful to speak much or meet, I think I will feel a feeling of great solidarity while I'm there.  I know our experiences are all different, but it is a powerful thing, to find people who share such a huge life transformation.

It has been another hard week.  Of course.  What did I expect?  I don't know.  I don't know if I can say this has really been harder then I expected...  if anything, there are some ways it has been easier (that's easier than I EXPECTED, because I expected it to be brutally difficult).  But it has been very different than I expected, though really, most of my musings on this sort of stopped at the point of his death and immediatly after.  I don't think that I could really look much beyond that point, or imagine it or worry about it.

Getting back to it, it has been another hard week.  I won't get into all the struggles and ups and downs here and now.  All in all, I have to say I think I'm doing ok... I'm mostly dealing with this with God.  And when I forget, He's pretty grace-ful to me.  And when I say I'm doing ok, agian, standards are pretty low.  But I think the fact that I can mostly sleep and that I can get up in the morning, and that most days I can even do at least one "fun thing" with Caeden, is, well, good enough for someone who has lost a child.  That I can still laugh, make decisions about cooking most days, occasionally organize or clean, I think that is all a good sign.

In spite of all this, I will say it yet again, like a whiny child.  This is hard.  Yes.  Hard.  So, please remember that May is still drop in month.  It is one of those inevitable things that about 3 people suddenly want to "book" the same day, and then there are other periods of nobody.  So please don't think if you want to visit, but someone else is already, that it means I am overwhelmed by visitors.  It is just the nature of life that it goes in "rushes" and then quietness.

But at this time, I love visitors.  I appreciate being able to work out my grief by chatting with you about Joel.  My precious Joel.

I'm not getting much "done."  I feel bad when Steve comes home from a day of work (for someone has to support us) and ask me what I have done.  I say "not too much."  Which means I did get up.  I did fed Caeden and watch him, and maybe play with him or take him out.  I did do the dishes, and I did make supper.  Then, most days, the day is ended.  And all I have to "show for it" is what most working mothers do when they get home from work...  I feel bad about the days where this is true.  For my work load has been literally cut in half, or more.  And what do I have to show for it?

And I feel guilty that Steve has somehow managed to work all day and earn the wage that pays for me to stay home and be sad, listless, distracted, or restless, and basically unproductive all day.  Why is this grief thing so different for us both?

Sorry.  I'm babbling today.  Mostly this blog is a pathetic attempt, because once I'm done blabbling on and on in what I am ambitiously calling a blog post, I will put up a few more pictures of Joel.

So, here are some pictures.  And I seriously AM going to make up a chart for myself and put in on the fridge...


Yeah, excuse the tape-y face.  Beautiful suit and then tape!  But let me tell you, I hated changing that ng tube so much (Joel too) that I would just keep plastering on more tape rather than risk it being pulled out!

2 comments:

  1. As a former hospital chaplain I know that everyone grieves differently. There is no "right" way to grieve nor a "wrong" way. We all just grieve in our own way as we do everything else in our own way. Some people express their grief outwardly, others don't. Some are almost paralysed and can't do anything; others throw themselves into work or some other activity. Some want to talk about it all the time; others don't. Some face it straight on; others go into denial (until, eventually, it catches up with them.)

    I think you are doing an amazing job of dealing with your grief - it's the hardest thing you will ever have to do. I know - I've been there too many times myself. We all hate it but, sadly, it's unavoidable. We all have to walk this dark and lonely journey at some point in our lives - often several points.

    It is good that you sense the presence of God in your grief. We don't know why we have to suffer but, as Christians, we know that God suffers with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve a sticker chart ;). I'm loving all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete