Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Monday, February 25, 2013

Low Points

Saturday was a new low for me.  Everything seemed to really hit me at once, though of course, it really had all been building up over the last few weeks, or more.

I feel better now, but without getting into too many details here (because some are just P&C), there seems to be a lot to deal with right now.

One of the things I will talk about is the diabetes.  I find that part of this pregnancy to be very, very frustrating.  Because this whole blood glucose thing has gotten very precise and finicky for me.  So many variables, so many little things that throw it off.  And then I'm worrying that I'm going to have to many high readings, and the doctor will tell me I have to go on medication.

For example, I think I figured out that there is a problem with Sunday and what it is.  Because yesterday at lunch I was really, really hungry.  I ate 2-4 inch whole wheat blueberry pancakes, and a cup of cut up fruit on top (NO BUTTER OR SUGAR/SYRUP) and then I had, um... well, I was really hungry so I ate 4 of those little breakfast sausages.  I didn't even have a glass of milk with it.  Which means I should have been eating between 3-4 carbs, which should be OK.

And then after I ate, I went outside and had a nice brisk walk outside for 20 minutes.  I figured I would be fine, but NOOOOOO!  My blood sugar was high. 

So, naturally, I went to the couch and cried on Steve's chest for half an hour, and then I went back and retested.  Guess what I discovered?  Yup, you guessed it.  Lying down and crying does not improve your blood sugar.  So now it was EVEN HIGHER.  So yeah, THAT NO WORK as a solution you might say.

Now I am thinking that it might be that Sundays have been a big problem the past two weeks because I go so long between breakfast and lunch.  Normally I eat at about 8:30 and then again at 11am-ish and then again at between 1-1:30.  On Sunday I skip the 11am meal due to church and I wonder if that is messing me up.  I hope it is, because then I can fix it without needing meds. 

A very good and sweet friend gave me a gift on Sunday.  I'm not entirely sure, but I think there was a subliminal motivational message in the gift.  So I have set it in the bassinet in the living room, and I can easily go look at it before or after my blood test, in case I need too.  I'm going to put up a picture for you.



So, pretty cute, eh?  Though I do miss being able to join in for cookies, or whatever, what I miss most is being able to just eat fruit, as much and as often as I want to.  Because in this pregnancy, I have REALLY craved fruit, but now I am only supposed to have 3 servings a day.  Yes, really, I would eat more than that if I could.  Did you hear me say I CRAVE it???

One of the things that is really hard about this diabetes thing is that it FEELS so much like we've already entered into the world of doctors and monitoring and pokes and medicine.  I know that logically, the diabetes and the PBD are two totally separate and distinct things.  But it feels like I have been swept up into that "world" a full 8 weeks before I ever imagined it could happen.

The diabetes is a small thing, but weekly doctor appointments, finger pokes, constant daily monitoring concern, all that stuff, has really brought to my mind some of the more difficult memories of Joel.  It all reminds me of some of the more painful things.

So on Saturday morning, I woke up from this really vivid, very realistic dream that I gave birth to our daughter and looked at her and saw the marks of PBD on her lovely little face/skull.  And I spent the rest of the day facing that moment, and those feelings.  I don't think that was a bad thing, necessarily, but it was a hard thing.  And I'm pretty sure it was all the diabetes stuff that really brought it on/out.

I'm hoping that was THE low point for this pregnancy, and that the rest of it is a bit better.

And Kara, if you are reading this, I'm going to post up a note to you in the comments.  It's nice to have another person to discuss gestational diabetes with, that is for sure!  So, keep an eye out for it.  :)

Oh, and last of all, I have this song I have been listening to, and thinking about.  It is the words of Romans 5:1-5 put to music and it is really nice.  I am using the song to memorize the verses.  I still have a ways to go.  The part of the song that really hits me is the part that says "... we rejoice in hope of the glory of God, and more than that, we rejoice in our sufferings.  Knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope and hope does not put us to shame because the love of God has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit..."

It is a good, good thing for me to remember and hold onto these days. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kara,

    Hoping you will see this. Feeling worse and worse about this GD, because it is refusing to be easily controlled!

    Just wondering, did yours get worse as your pregnancy progressed? I just don't get why, when my GGT was prediabetes, I am now having so much trouble keeping my blood sugar from spiking when I am eating right and even exercising...

    In fact, I was suspecting it, and I weighed myself this morning and with the scrupulous eating and the exercise, I appear to have lost about 2 pounds. And that also worries me, just a bit. I am getting worried now that I'm not getting enough milk or carbs for baby because I'm trying so hard to control my blood sugar.

    And I am really, really bummed out thinking I might have to go on meds, because then I have to worry about LOW blood sugars too, and I think it means transfering from a mid-wife to an OB and it means being closely monitored during birth, instead of a more natural birth, etc...

    I am just really, really feeling bummed out about it. And it is funny, because one of the things that makes your blood sugar rise is stress, and I am started to feel more and more stressed... If I didn't have the GD, I'd be a lot less stressed, ha ha ha... sigh.

    Anyway, I'm thankful for any tips you might have or any encouragement. Were you allowed any high sugars at all in a week? This week I think I have had about 4 meals with high sugars...and I'm getting worried. I might call the nurse on Wednesday after I talk to my midwife. And you might be able to guess how much I want to phone the nurse and talk about it with him/her... oh yeah, I can't wait...

    Oh yeah, and our sugars here are measured differently than yours, so I'm not sure how it translates, but in the entire 2 weeks I've only had one reading above 10, otherwise my sugar readings are below that.

    From what I can tell, if you are a diabetic on meds, they only want you to keep your sugars below 10, as long as your average is no more than 7... but they want me to keep my sugars in the normal range, because I'm not on meds...??

    Sorry, don't worry if you don't have the answers to this, but thanks for letting me vent. I am soooooooo frustrated, because I feel like I'm doing my best and it is STILL not working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen...sadly...Yes. For most people with GD...as the pregnancy progresses...it gets harder and harder to manage it. For me,it was just like you...first the mornings were hard,...then the fasting numbers were off (meaning the wake up number) and then as I cut out more and more carbs I started losing weight. BUT....here is the good thing...they have oral meds you can start with. I only had to take one pill a morning and it worked all day and then allowed me to actually have the recommended carbs...even more sometimes if I ate them with a lot of protein. So...don't let it discourage you. I know you are in Canada and I am in the US, but even with GD...you should still be able to have a natural birth. they just check your sugars throughout labor and then check the baby when she is born. I know it seems like your body is working against you....but GD is soooo common in us "older" moms (over 40). I was suprised I didn't get it the first pregnancy.
    Now....to monitor low sugars...that is super easy. I just kept juice boxes in my purse and if I started getting too low (you can feel it...believe me)...just have a little juice and get a snack as soon as you can. The key to really manageing GD it so eat frequent small meals. Don't go more than 2-3 hours in between.
    The one thing that did save me was the Kit Kat Bar. I was due mid Nov so dealt with this over Halloween...totally unfair!!! But...the small size kit kat (two bars) was less than 30g carbs...so would get to have one of those twice a day as a snack to help me with my need for some sugar. I would then pair that with a string cheese or a small turkey roll up or something. It was my "go to" sweet treat.

    Now...when you pass 35-36 weeks...you may also see another change.....you blood surars may all of a sudden start to normalize a bit. This is also very common. The placenta is what is responsible for the GD. So as it gets older and closer to delivery....women often see an improvement in their numbers.

    Hang in there...this is temporary, this is temporary. Just do what you need to do to keep it under control and know that you really only have a handful of weeks left to deal with it.

    So glad I can be of support. I hated it...but it was worth it.

    hugs,
    Karaleen

    ReplyDelete