Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Thursday, February 25, 2010

Guest Speaker

Today my husband made a request that really surprised me. I mean, I was really taken aback. I didn't know what to say, a rare occurrence, I'm sure you'll agree.

You see, he asked if he could "borrow" my blog and make an entry here. He didn't want a blog of his own, he just wanted a chance to write one entry of his own thoughts and experience.

Normally, I'm not the sort of wife to share a blog. If Steve asks for a bite of my cheesecake, I tell him, "There's lots more in the fridge. Why don't you just go get your own piece?" Really. I have said this sort of thing, about desserts for sure, though this is the first time a blog has come up. I really am that sort of wife, and I would probably have told him just to go get his own blog, as they are free.

Well, I've thought about it, and this is to warn you: I think I might have to let him. As stated above, it's not really the sort of thing I would normally "share," but in this case, I'm going to have to.

For one thing, I am terribly curious as to what he will say. :) Yes, honey, I am! ;)

But beyond that, is the simple truth that I think he really should share more. I want him to share more and I encourage him to share more, not just with me, but with other people too.

He's a bit of a paradox, that husband of mine. Sometimes you just can't get him to stop talking either (yup, just like me!). But other times, it is really hard to know what is going on up there in that steel trap called his mind. Especially when it comes to things that are emotionally charged with grief or sadness.

So, if my blog has inspired him to share something, and if letting him use my blog will help me get a chance to hear his (gulp) feelings and thoughts in a deeper or more elaborated way, I guess I'll have to take it. If he still has the will and the words.

Not to mention that the rest of the family who reads this would be thrilled. (I know you would, Ma, I know you would. You are sitting there reading this just overjoyed at the thought and you can't stay still in your seat. Yes, you better call Pa over too, and make sure he reads it as well!)

I hope none of you will mind this guest speaker. I don't know exactly when he is planning to write it, but keep it in the back of your minds for me, eh? Cut him a little slack, he's a man, and he's not used to sharing things fraught with deep emotional pain. (Ok, small joke, not that funny. It really isn't easy for some of us women, either, right?) I hope you will make him feel at home and write in friendly and encouraging comments and all that. I really appreciate your support on this one. Thanks bunches, everyone.

He's a good guy, and a really loving daddy. Caeden, Joel, and I all really love him back.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear what Steve has to say. since I see him as such a strong silent type, i would assume his feelings run very deep. it helps to know how to pray for all of you when I hear you express the good, bad and ugly. Love aunt dot

    ReplyDelete