Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Blogosphere

First of all, a big thanks to anyone who responded to Steve's blog with some encouragement. It was much appreciated.


One thing about Joel's disease, it has connected me to some of the very nicest and best people. I would start to list them all, but then I would accidentally leave someone out because my brain isn't that great, and then someone might have hurt feelings, even though it was accidental. So, I'm not going to do that.


But I do want to point one person out, cause she too has a blog. Her name is Jen, and she has a little girl named Lydia Eileen who has the same condition as Joel does, only worse, if you can believe it. And I have her blog listed on my blog, now! So if you are interested, you can read about how things are with Lydia. And if you are a praying person, you can pray too.

Cause I'm just going to be blunt here. Lydia is really not doing well. Jen and her husband know that she really isn't going to live much longer. But in the meantime, Lydia is having these awful seizures, and they just can not get them under control. ("They" meaning the doctors.) These seizures are distressing for Lydia, and distressing for mommy and daddy. So if you pray, please take the time to pray for them, and for Lydia, most especially that she can have some peace from these seizures and some good and happy last days.

From Jen's blog, I got onto some other really good blogs too. I put two of the ones I personally wanted to follow, up on my blog too. I realize more and more that the world is full of people who are hurting, who are grieving and in pain. Of course. Like this is news.

So these blogs are sad. Pearl Music is written by a mom who just lost her baby. He was premature, and stillborn, due to a gene defect. Waiting for Morning is written by a mom who lost twin girls, about a year and a half ago. They were born very prematurely and did not survive. Yeah. Pretty heavy, sad stuff.

But I like to read them. I like to read them, because even though they make me cry, I love the honesty. I can relate to the pain, though the circumstances are different. Let's face it, pain is pain. Truly. When you get right down to it.

We human beings like to sit and count our wounds, thinking, even when we don't verbalize it "My wounds are the deepest. My battles are the hardest. No one else REALLY gets it, because they have no idea about THIS kind of pain." Come on, I know you do it! I know you do it, cause sometimes I catch myself doing it too!

But more and more I see, that pain is pain is pain. Sure it is great to find someone who shares the same exact circumstances. They can understand in a special way.

But when it all comes down to it, pain is terrible and excruciating and horrible and seems never ending. It knocks you out and knocks you flat. It throws you into pits of mire and slime of depression, self-pity, and apathy. It wears away at you til you feel like sandpaper has polished all the words off of you. It makes you feel like you can not breathe, it makes you feel like you can't stop gasping for breathe, like a suffocating fish. It is a surprising stab, it is a dull, throbbing ache, it is both at once. It makes time your enemy, it makes sleep an elusive, much sought opiate, it makes life a sickly sweet pastry that you want to puke up as it sits so heavy in your stomach.

I hope that is not too graphic for you, but if you can relate to anything in that above paragraph, I think you can relate to me, no matter what your circumstances are. Many things are individual, but some things are universal.

And so I read these blogs. Not just because they are honest. Because they also fill me with hope. I see that while some battles are lost, for the most part, I trust the war will be won. One of my favorite books of all time says "Other people have passed this way too, and they even learned to sing of it afterward." And that is what these other blogs make me feel inside.

So, if you are interested, take a look. But you can't stop reading my blog. No matter how good these other ones are, you still better read mine!!

3 comments:

  1. Karen, I totally JUST wrote something of the same "pain is pain" sentiment, and I am hoping hoping hoping it makes sense!

    You're going on my blog roll I think--scrolling through your entries reminds me I'm not alone. Thank you for being honest in your unique journey of loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I did read your blog today too, and thought, hey look - another one of those things where grief and God have you thinking the same things!

    It totally made sense to me!

    It is nice to be able to see how other people are working through the journey of pain and yes, so much of it is... Well, I have said this before, but I guess I'll say it again, only I am going to "broaden the scope."

    It is like we are all sister's growing up in the house of pain. Each sister is separate and unique and sees things in a special way. But we all sort of share the same "upbringing."

    So when you write about being unable to sleep, yeah, I feel it. And when you write and say "It shouldn't be like this", yeah, I have a blog like that too. And when you write about how you are fighting to affirm the value of Sam's life, yeah, you'll find a similar line of thought in my blog too.

    Growing up in the house of pain is really hard. So though I am sad you have to experience it too, I am glad to find out that I am not an only child. I am glad to "reunite" with my sisters. The "Sisterhood of Grief." Maybe we'll have to send around a handkerchief instead of a pair of pants...

    Karen (forgot to sign in before I wrote this)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are terrific, Karen. I'm so thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete