Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Friday, July 2, 2010

Another Discussion About Death

Today I had a little heart to heart chat with one of Joel's doctors. It was a bit of a difficult talk, but I allowed her that liberty because in the past she has always been fabulous, warm, caring and supportive.

Still, it came up. That topic which I dread, the one where they feel their way around the issue of if I realize that Joel is dying. Can I just say how happy I will be to take Joel out of the hospital??!!??

(Yeah, it almost makes me laugh now. I can't really imagine that anyone who read this blog would wonder if I am in denial, at least, more denial than is normal. It is just totally so normal and unchangeable to sort of be in denial that this is the very day that your loved one will die, no? Don't we all want to believe it will a least not happen until tomorrow? It is not denial that death is coming. It is just so hard to believe it is going to happen today.)

I should be used to it by now, but it always takes me aback when I get that question, though it may be put gently or bluntly, depending on the personality issuing it. I live with Joel's death so much, I sort of feel it is etched on my forehead. Can't you see that I know Joel is dying??

(by the way, my apologies, but this blog is really for me. I just gotta get this out. I'm not sure it is very interesting to anyone else. Certainly, it is going to be very emotional and ramble-y. Sometimes when I write I got something to say TO YOU. Sometimes I just have to say something FOR ME. This is one of those blogs, which means I don't think it's going to be one of my "better" ones. This is not going to be a "lobster" sort of blog. It is more along the lines of slightly scorched canned tomato soup. You don't have to "eat" it if you don't want to. :) )

So we were discussing the CPAP and the question came up. Just making sure I knew that the CPAP wasn't going to cure Joel, of course. Of course. Again, it takes me aback that anyone could imagine I think that sort of thing?? Seriously people, do I have "WILLFULLY THICK-HEADED" tattooed on my forehead or something? Read my blog. I'm the person asking about what "death day" was like for other families cause I see ours approaching...

And that led to another discussion, though I no longer can remember the exact ins and outs of it. I just remember it led to the doctor saying that she thought sometimes doctors were just worried that we (the parents of dying children) might end up only prolonging the suffering of our children. They wanted to be sure we didn't make choices that prolonged suffering, instead of preventing it.

And as time goes on, I can see that the doctors we work with, particularly those that don't know us well, may be worried about this. I can sense that undercurrent when I ask them about certain medical alternatives. As Joel gets older, and his disease progresses, I can sense this sort of feeling more and more. I sort of understand it. But it does also sort of make my job harder. It is hard when you feel people might be sort of questioning your judgement. Because it is hard to make these judgements to begin with, to try and plan and choose options with a disease that is so unpredictable. Believe me, I can be the queen of second guessing, and situations like this are just rife with it.

The really funny thing, the thing that most of them realize not, is that Joel's quality of life if measured by what he is capable of, yes, it has gone down. But if measured by his happiness, it has gone up. On the whole by so very much.

I don't remember Joel smiling more than once or twice for the first five months of his life. He did have a brief happy period, one where he developed a bit and was playful and smiling. It lasted about three months (from 5 to 8 months). But for most of his first year, he really wasn't a very happy child. He was a very poor sleeper. He had many irritable periods, and he did a lot of crying. A lot of crying. We both did. It was hard to believe his life was worth living, at times.

But the first year things really seemed more hopeful regarding his development, and his physical potential. I really thought he'd learn to sit up. Joel was actually diagnosed as being on the milder end of the spectrum. For the first 8 months, I thought he'd actually fed himself one day. I have pictures of when I was trying him on baby food. The first year was much more promising, regarding his physical well-being.

Yet the first five months of his life were miserable, both for him and for me. And don't get me started on what last August was like.

Well, if I am honest with myself, his real happiness didn't start until about October or November. Just after I had sort of given up hope that he'd ever be smiley or playful again.

And it is still going strong. November, December, January, February, March, April, May, June. Eight of the happiest months of his life. Yet the last four he has had the most serious problems physically.

Which makes things hard all around. Having finally achieved so much happiness and contentment for him, I am very reluctant to let it go. I will fight to keep it going, as long as I can, with pretty much tooth and claw. It is precious.

So while doctors get more and more concerned that we might force discomfort on Joel, that we might prolong his suffering because we just can't let go, ironic, isn't it, that I feel that we have him in a place of so much contentment and happiness? Now is exactly the time I am the most committed to fight for things, because now Joel is so smiley and playful.

How much is one happy day with a loved one worth? What would you be willing to pay to keep that last day? Those last laughs or smiles? There is little I wouldn't give up for one more day like that. I'm just being honest. Even though I know I'll see Joel again, and even though I know he'll go to a better place, I'd still pay a pretty high price for just the joy of being together, happy and contented, one more day.

Modern medicine is utterly fantastic. It can so do much for us. If Joel was born a hundred year ago, I know he would not have lived much past 5 months. So I am absolutely grateful for what has been given to me.

Still, I feel a pang of nostalgia for the old fashioned doctor that did house calls. The one that really knew you and your family. The one that knew you so well he didn't have to ask if you knew your son was dying. He saw you enough he could really see the quality of life of his patient, or when all that was left was prolonging suffering.

The closest thing we have to this is our palliative care and symptom management team. Mercifully, they spend very little time asking me if I know Joel is dying, or if I realize that whatever new treatment options come up will not cure him. Most of the time, I don't even think they are worried that I am needlessly prolonging Joel's suffering. At least, I hope they don't, they don't hint that, anyway.

Because I still believe we can have a few months, or weeks, or at least days, of happiness. One of the other things the doctor asked me was how I was preparing for Joel's death. Which also took me aback, mostly because the death I have really been "preparing" for the last few weeks is my dad's. And I told her so, which caused her to "take back" her question, as she said I obviously had enough other things to think about first. Yeah. Maybe. Well, she didn't know about my dad.

How do you prepare for death? Is that the purpose of this blog? Is that why I talk to other people about their experience? Is it when, every single morning that I wake up and hear Joel's breathing I say "Thank you God. Yesterday was not that day. This is a good morning, for my son is alive." Is that preparing for death? I don't know. Maybe that is in there, and that would perhaps be a good thing. But that is all I have that might be death preparation, and I don't really do it to prepare for death. I do it to prepare for another day of life. Because I'm going to go on living (God willing). And this is the only way I know how to do it.

4 comments:

  1. Karen, you definitly have to go about your days with Joel as if he wasn't dying. Some would say that it means more to live life as if you WERE dying, but when you have a child that is dying it's different. When you wake up with the thought that today might be THE day, then you just spend the whole day worrying, instead of actually enjoying the day. My ramble probably isn't making any sense, but I really do think that there is a difference between being in denial and simply wanting to make the best of the time left. You can still know that your childs condition is fatal and want as many of those happy-precious moments as possible.

    I know I spent far too much time planning for Makenzie's death, and to some extent it is a necessary part of grasping the reality of it all. I do wish I could of just been content with NOT thinking that any day could be her last.

    All of this is no hard to deal with--I wish I could give you a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate those converstions and I hate the hospital, but I understand the medical team's need to have them with you. They need to know where you are coming from and that you understand what different options you might choose would mean for Joel etc That's an important part of their job.

    As someone who has played the role of parent and as nurse to dying children, I can only say that it is excrutiating to look after children who's parents will. not. let. them. go and the child suffers and suffers and in the end has a miserable death when had they made different choices earlier on, they could have had a peaceful, smooth one.
    An experience like that scars you for life even though you aren't the parent, it still really hurts. It's awful in a way I can't explain and made me angry in a way I can't describe.

    So yeah, I get it when a medical team wants to discuss these things BEFORE a crisis happens. Decisons made in crisis can be bad ones due to panic and fear rather than good sense, planning and an understanding of how things can play out.

    I'm not surprised they keep bringing it up, not because you look like you don't understand what's going on, but because last you wrote anyway, you had his code status as wanting intubation and mechanical ventilation- which for a young child really ends up being a full code in the sense that kids don't code for cardiac reasons, they code for respiratory ones.

    If Joel isn't a respiratory code anymore, then I think they're just looking out for you and your emotional/mental state. You can sure feel free to say that you've had these dicsussions, you know what you want and you don't feel like talking about it anymore. They can make a note of that in the chart and hopefully you won't have to deal with it again.

    I'm responding here because I read this here but I write this to/for you, not your blog readers, so wether you put it on your page or not doesn't matter to me in the least.

    Since tone is hard to hear in text, the tone of this is supportive and caring. My only reason to write was to give you the medical person perspective as it sounded like you didn't understand why they keep talking to you about this. I may have missed the pint completely and if I did I apologize. My back is flared up and affecting my ability to think and to edit. lacking today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, it isn't a problem to discuss these things, if for example, it were a pneumonia and we were discussing ventilation options. Or the possiblity of a trach.

    This doctor was the feeding clinic doc. And then there were the implications of the respirologist... and the only new treatment was a CPAP for goodness sake!

    This time they DIDN'T go over the DNR with us. I spent quite a bit of time explaining it, and I think most of the doctors did understand why we did it like we did. Because we DON'T want Joel to be rescussitated if he codes. But if he's in the hospital and his lung collapses like that last time, he's got an infection and they are thinking about a ventilator, I just don't want them trying to find me while they consider it. I want them to feel free to do it. Because in that case I know that he could get better. And his heart wouldn't stop.

    I realize that in the case of a pneumonia, the time might come to remove the ventilator because he is obviously getting only worse. I think I'm ok with that.

    But I do get this talks, and not in connection with our DNR. Just because. Maybe I appear way to calm in hospital?? I don't know. The part where she asked me how I was preparing for Joel's death sort of floored me. Just because it was coming from a doctor, and not my social worker. I totally expect those questions from her.

    It's all good Heather. Sometimes I need to vent, even when I know that it's all coming out of good intentions, as I knew hers were. I understand the intentions, but I need to vent out my thoughts and feelings about it, yah know?

    And yeah, pretty hard as a nurse or doctor to see someone suffer and die. Pretty hard as a parent too, eh? We all just do the best we can. I hope I'll let Joel go at the right time. And not a moment sooner.

    We'll stick together, Heather. And be there for each other through it. Love you, my friend. And hope your back is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, it is all so hard. One thing I am sure of, you can't escape some regrets. This is not my first time dealing with grief, just the hardest one. So I know that regret is part of it. I think you will either say "Why didn't I just enjoy the moment more instead of worrying." Or you will say "Why didn't I see it coming? Why didn't I give my all that last day." Etc, etc.

    I'm ok with that. I know there will be regrets, which is why the palliative care team talks about the path of LEAST regrets, and not the path of NO regrets.

    It is a hard balance, between keeping death in mind, and forgetting about it. I hope this doesn't sound too, um,.... self-assured, because I do have my moments, but mostly I'm ok with how I'm doing it.

    I'm getting lots of joy from Joel everyday. And for me, being thankful every day that Joel is still alive, well, it works. Might not work for everyone though. I don't feel so much like worries are sucking the joy out of the moment. I feel more like knowing things could end at any moment I am loving and joying the best out of each moment. As a general rule. I have my bad moments too.

    I sure do understand about both dealing with the reality of death, and still going for every happy moment you can. NOT mutually exclusive. And I knew you would understand that part of my blog very well, cause you have been there.

    Karen (oops, forgot to sign in again!)

    ReplyDelete