Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Thursday, July 29, 2010

Green-Eyed Monster

Want to know something "funny?" I'm not really envious of people who have healthy children anymore. I'm still sometimes envious of people who can have babies easily and (relatively) stress-free. But I'm not really ever green-eyed when I'm holding Joel and looking as someone's healthy child.

For sure that is partly thanks to Caeden. He's done a lot that way. But there is another component here: People with totally healthy children are now beyond my ken.

It's other parents with healthier PBD kids that I now envy. Does that sound messed up? It actually sort of makes sense I guess, in a messed up sort of way.

You see, most of us are envious of people who are doing a little better than we are. Most of us are not envious of Bill Gates. We don't turn green at the house that Brad and Angelina J. own. We don't crave after the clothes worn on the "red carpet" or the expensive parties Brittany Spears threw.

Too out of reach, no? I mean, we don't envy people who are beyond our sphere of existence. That's FANTASY for us, not ENVY.

We envy the neighbour who buys a new car. The co-worker who got the promotion instead of us. The parent whose child always makes honour role while ours squeaks by with C's.

We envy people who get things that are just out of our grasp, not people who are miles beyond us, no?

We get green over the possibilities that never happened to us. "Why not me?" we ask. It could have been me. I'm in the same circle, I'm on the same level. It was POSSIBLE, but it never happened. So we envy.

And parents will totally healthy children are beyond my envy now (exception of pregnancy). Now I am envious of people who tell me that their PBD child has learned to sit up. Man, it could have been Joel. He was so close! Or the child who wears glasses. Or who can crawl. Those sorts of things.

Hey, I don't mean that I resent them!! I sure don't. I'm glad for them, and I wouldn't ever take it away no matter what. But they are the "almosts" for me. Things that are almost in my grasp, but I don't have. The realm of possibility for me. So I wish that I "had" what they "got" too. It seems like something we could achieve. So close, yet so far away.

I don't like to admit this. And don't think for a minute that I'm CONSUMED by this envy. I'm not. It is brief and fleeting, and I try not to ever dwell on it. It does seem really stupid to envy people who are also losing their children. Hello??!!!?? What is wrong with this pic? Can't I find really fortunate people who don't have sick, disabled, dying children to envy?

No. I can't. They are beyond my sphere now.

And maybe somewhere out there, there is another mother who is wishing she was me. Because my boy is still alive, and her child has already passed away. Pretty crazy too, if that is true. But if it is true, then I'd like to say that I understand you, whoever you are. I understand. You are envious of me, because I'm in your sphere, on your level of possibility. I get it. I don't "mind." I'm just sad that you are here, with me.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Karen...I'm there with you on this one too. I got the envy's also...strangely more so now that my Graham is in Heaven. I guess it's because when Graham was here...I felt that he was the PBD kid that others would envy. He could do alot and it seemed that so many others had it worse than him. At times I even felt guilty for his health being so good. No...he couln't walk, no...he couldn't talk (only babble), but...oh...there was so much he could do.

    Even then I had the envy's...but I have them more so now. And Yes...I do NOT resent the other PBD kids and families either and I LOVE to hear about ALL the skills the kids have...but there is still that green-eyed monster that whispers in my ear..."Too bad your Graham couldn't do that."

    And yes...I do even envy you...not because you have it rough (I am sad for that), but because you can hold and touch and smell and hug and kiss your sweet boy. I miss that so much and I want it back. Driving home today I thought about how Graham would want me to take him for a drive as soon as I would come home from work and how I wished he would be there so I could.

    This disease is crazy. I hate this disease for what it took from me, but this same crazy disease has also brought some good. And 1 of those good things is meeting you and all the other PBD moms that I have come to 'e'know.

    Thanks for being my friend. Even though my eyes may look brown from the outside...they are quite often green from the inside looking out.

    Tracy
    'Angel' Graham's Momma
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/grahamwhitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen Allthough I envy to I dont envy the other PBD kids. I do envy people who can pop out typicaly healthy kids almost on demand. All though as of late its strange b/c I have 3 cousins who are pregnant and for some reason more than anyone else I envy them. I wont say this anywhere else but I am much more bothered by family expecting than anyone else. I almost resent them. I hate to say it and wish I could get over it. I dont know what it is ......ugh maybe I will get over it one day. Hang in there!

    Sarah D

    ReplyDelete