Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Birthday Blues: Part Two

I made it through Joel's B-day ok. I was cranky. I was tired. I was emotional and on the verge of tears all day. If I didn't have a family to be responsible for, I sure would have crawled under the covers with a good book and a couple of bags of potato chips. It seemed like the day took forever, but I made it through.

I'm just being honest here. I'd love to say I had a great attitude. I'd love to say that I was so happy and grateful that Joel is still with us that it overshadowed all my pain. I refuse to lie though. Most of the day I felt crappy.

It might partly have been my fault, I don't know. Maybe if I could have changed my attitude, I'd have had a better day. Some days are like that, as Alexander has said, even in Australia. (It's a favorite book, a children's book, and everyone should have a mandatory copy even if they don't have children)

I did have a great evening, though. A few friends came over. I kept it really small on purpose, due to the fact I suspected I might be feeling antisocial, tired, grouchy, and emotional. (which as I mentioned, I was) And the friends that came helped to redeem what was a difficult day.

I'm an extrovert. So sometimes just being with some great people really makes me feel better. We just chatted and laughed. We got a bit serious too. Mostly I just felt at ease with them. I felt they understood that Joel's b-day could be a difficult day for me, even when we had a lot to celebrate and they were ok with that. It was a little party just for me, and I am thankful to them for that. They took me out of myself and made me laugh, have fun, and even let me get a little weepy too.

And the next day was better, again. I felt a lot more thankful, the next day. Funny how that is, eh? Monday I was so sad about what the last two years had taken from me. Tuesday I was just being happy and thankful to have a happy little boy who loves his family.

I hope no one ever holds days like Monday against me. All day long I really was saying to myself "snap out of it and grow up grumpy pants." To no avail. Every now and then a voice inside my head (no, not God's voice this time, my friend, this time it was my voice. Maybe if I'd shut up from berating myself for a minute to actually listen to HIM I would have been snapped out of it all) said "man, I am embarrassed here at your behavior! What is up with this self-pity, and after you claim that God helps you through, here you are snivelling over a B-DAY!" Yeah, I was mentally embarrassed by myself, along with being grouchy, sad, upset. Add embarrassed by my own behavior.

Good thing is I have a God who understands and forgives me, and let's me have a "do over" the next day. And I have friends who come over to support me. And for the record, I did NOT have to wear railroad train pajamas, or eat lima beans for supper. There is still a lot to be grateful for, even if you are not in Australia.

1 comment:

  1. I understand how the birthday could be a double-edged sword. That would be a really, really hard day for just about anyone. Don't beat yoursefl up over it. Happy belated birthday to Joel...I'm glad he is having a good week and that you are also feeling better.

    ReplyDelete