Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Sunday, August 1, 2010

Proof of Life

I haven't written much about God in my last few posts. Just saving up?? There are a few different "mind" blogs I've got about Him. So it's probably about time I started getting them out. The question is always where to start. Some times I even "write" a whole blog, start to finish, in my head while I'm weeding the garden or whatever. Then I sit down here and ????? I got nothing. Only to go out the next day for more weeding and - VIOLA! There it is again!


So I've got some things to say and I really want to say them. We'll see if I can ever frame those thoughts into a blog. Maybe I should take a laptop out into the garden with me??

Here are some thoughts I've been having lately, due to two different friends. One of these friends is studying to get a degree that I can never remember the exact name of. It's Philosophical Theology, or Theological Philosophy or something like that. Maybe. Sorry, Matthew!

Anyway, he was over last week and told us a bit about his thesis. He's writing about testimonial knowledge, related to theology and the Middle Ages. Ok, I'm not super great with the details, but I got the main idea. We had a little discussion about how much of an individuals knowledge is testimonial knowledge. It's a lot more than you might think!


Testimonial knowledge is simply the things you believe are true based on what someone else has told you. Not just the "testimonials" you find on advertisements.

For example, you may believe that magnets have a "positive" and "negative" end, and that two positives or negatives will repel, but a positive and negative together will attract. This is likely something you have experimented with for yourself. If you have played magnets at all, then THIS knowledge is NOT testimonial. But if you believe that the REASON for this attraction and repulsion is the electrical charge of the atoms that make up the magnet, you have now entered the realm of testimonial knowledge (unless you are a physicist, I suppose.) For you are accepting the knowledge of experts that things like molecules and atoms exist. And that atoms are made up of electrons going around a nucleus. Etc, etc.

Sure, these experts seem to be trustworthy and know what they are talking about. We are not debating this. But your knowledge is still testimonial. Which means it is only as good as the person who is giving it to you. And that is the crux of the matter.

So when I read the cover of the National Enquirer, I put that sort of testimonial information in the "fiction" category. And when the doctor tells me I have an infection and need an antibiotic, I treat this testimonial information a lot differently! Both things are entirely testimonial. I have no actual proof in my hand that shows me my elevated white blood count. I have the word of my doctor, whom I trust. Unlike the first hand "witnesses" put forth by the National Enquirer.

A lot of our "knowledge" is like this. We keep it or forget it, based on the quality of the "expert" or witness involved. We often can not evaluate the information our self. So we must evaluate our source of information.

Ok, are you with me so far? Now we are getting to the heart of the matter. The first friend made me ponder over the things I knew and why I knew them. My second friend did something else.

This friend asked me some good questions. Not just good questions, like many good questions they were also hard to answer. And in light of my prior conversation, I really was thinking about it all.

For this friend asked me some good questions about how I know that God is speaking to me, when I say that "God told me" something. She was asking me how I knew that it wasn't just my own thoughts? Or did I actually "hear" something?? (read: was I nuts???? ha ha ha) Good questions.

Really, they were questions trying to ascertain what sort of testimonial witness I was. Was I an expert that could be trusted? Was I sincere but misguided? Was I bonkers? What was the deal with all this God stuff and could anything I said about my relationship be trustworthy knowledge or should it be filed in the "National Enquirer Category?" She was asking me for "proof of life." I said I "had" God. Could she get some proof?

And I realized that I could not really give any answers to her that could be ultimately satisfying. Sure, I could tell her about my experiences with God. But in the end it would come down to this alone: What sort of "expert" (I use the term loosely here!!) was I?

Am I the sort of person who is honest? Is my sincerity believable? Do I make a lot of "intellectual" mistakes? Am I gullible myself? Do I usually live in a state of denial of facts? Am I predisposed to believe what I want even when there is no evidence?

Is there any evidence that what I claim is true? I mean, I say that God gives me strength. I say that God is why I can get through. I say that God has changed my life. Is there any evidence for this? Is my life any different? For the "proof of life," the proof of God's life in me, is just..... me. Is my life good proof?

That is a scary question. I sure can't answer it, as I wouldn't be unbiased, would I? That is one that she's got to answer for herself, just like you do. And if you come to the conclusion I'm nuts, please, keep it to yourself! Based only on my track record, I don't wonder that you, (or she) might want to investigate my claims. I'm hardly perfect. I'm human too, and humans can make mistakes. Even scientists (like with the Piltdown Man).

But there is another option here, thankfully. When it comes to electrons and neutrons, you'd have to study many years and do a whole lot of experimentation to try and figure out if the theory might be true. You'd have to become an "expert" in this field yourself. And quite frankly, with the reliable sources you've got, your not going to waste your time doing that, when you've got a life to live. You've seen enough of the effects of electromagnets to believe the theory behind them.

When it comes to God, though, it's a bit different. I'd like to think that my life, like the magnets you have come in contact with, shows evidence of the theory at work here. But if not, you really don't need much to try and figure out a bit of it yourself. All you need is a bit of quiet time, say maybe 5 hours (and they don't have to be all together, you can break em up), and a Bible. You can investigate my claims a bit yourself.

It's easy. Go somewhere quiet so you don't feel "silly" talking to God. Tell Him your are sincerely wondering about what I have said and you are trying to check it out. Ask Him to speak to you if it is true. And then pick one of the gospels. Matthew, Mark, Luke or John. John is my favorite, and Luke next. But any of them would do. Just sit and read one of the accounts about Jesus. And ask God to tell you if it is true. It is sort of your own "experiment". You never know what might happen. And I can almost guarantee that you will actually enjoy reading about Jesus. He really is pretty fascinating, no matter what you believe about Him.

And maybe, just maybe you'll hear God's voice for yourself. That would be the real "proof of life." And if my testimonial knowledge is at all trustworthy, God is pretty fantastically amazing! It just might be worth it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment