Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Monday, May 17, 2010

Oasis

I found an oasis in the hospital. Our social worker told me about it. So I went and checked it out. And when I got there, I almost started to cry, right there, in front of the volunteers. It was just so beautiful.

It is the Ronald McDonald family rooms in the old part of children's hospital. It is open to all families who have brought their children in to the hospital for one reason or another. It doesn't have to be for anything super serious. If your child is in for minor surgery, or whatever, the rooms are open for you.

And it is the nicest place anywhere in the hospital. It's like you stepped into someone's home. There is a fully loaded kitchen, one that looks more like a home kitchen, than a hospital kitchen. A lovely dining area. And a beautiful living room type area with a nice tv and it really feels, like, well, did I already use the word "home" a few times? There are even 3 bedrooms available, and a laundry and shower room. The next time Joel ends up in PICU, I can make arrangements to stay in one of the bedrooms. It is wonderful, because you can't sleep in the PICU, but this way I could sleep right there in the hospital, and be right on hand if there were any changes for Joel.

I've been there a few times now, and every time I walk in, I feel my eyes prick a bit with tears.

Because people are capable of some pretty crappy things. And some people do some really, really evil things.

But those rooms are made up of a lot of kindest and compassion. Some people put a lot in, and some people just a little. And all together they made something that makes me feel like a bunch of strangers gave me a big hug when I walk in that room. Sure, I know that McDonald's sponsored the rooms, and a lot of it is corporate money. But when I walk in, I just see the people who donated to the cause. And the people who volunteer in order to run it. Even the people who worked hard to plan it and build it.

It reminds me that though we all share a tremendous potential for evil, we also share a tremendous potential for good. It makes me want to let God work in me to realize that potential. It makes me feel a little bit humble, that so many people I don't even know, who never even know they have done something for me, have, well... ..done something really nice for me. Most of all, it is a little oasis, a place where I can feel like I have for a moment escaped all the stress of life in the hospital. It is a warm hug, from a lot of people I don't even know.

3 comments:

  1. oh Karen...im soo glad you found the Ronald Mc Donald oasis. While Jordan was in the hospital the past two times we had a RM house next to the hospital. We showered there and ate there and the people were sooo nice. Volunteers made cupcakes for everyone.They only had 6 rooms which stayed filled so we couldnt sleep there but we could do just about anything else. Relax watch TV. They even had a little dog for us to play with. Those people make me sooo happy....and it sounds like they did you as well. Cant wait for little man to come home <3 you!

    Sarah Danielson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel's coming home? HOORAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,

    I am the Family Room Manager at the Ronald McDonald Family Room at Children's Hospital and I was so happy to come across this post (which was sent to me by one of your blog followesr). It's wonderful to know that our volunteers have helped make your stay a little more bearable.

    One thing I wanted to let you know is that the Family Room was, and continues to be funded by generous donors and sponsors. McDonald's Restaurants made a generous $5000 contribution towards the $700,000 project and have committed their "Coin Box" funds to the Family Room, but all other donations are from private individual and organizations. HSC donated the space and provides maintenance, security, and housekeeping.

    Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete