Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Really Nice Wolves with Sad Faces and Stethoscopes

Ok, I did say a time like this was coming. And is here now. A dark time. So please don't expect me to be that positive or that objective or anything. I need to vent.

Today was a fairly crappy day. It was crappy enough that it started to feel somewhat like the day we first got the news that Joel was terminally ill. It wasn't quite that bad, but bad enough it felt a bit like deja vu.

First of all, it held several nasty "surprises." Like when I came in to find Joel on nasal prongs again. No biggie though. So I asked the nurse how Joel's night was and of course, it wasn't great. He had a temp and had been breathing badly, hence the nasal prongs. They gave him steroids. But since then he was doing better, and remained fever free all day.

Then the ENT comes along. And starts talking about Joel's partial collapse lung. WHAT??? I didn't even know that Joel had x-rays!! It might have been nice to get the news a bit earlier, and not by an ENT (EARS, NOSE, and THROAT) doc who really is uncomfortable discussing lung stuff.

Then my husband can't make it to the meeting, so I am going to be by myself. Oh, not really by myself, cause all the medical staff will be there. But I am feeling a bit alone as I go. Still, I think, how bad can it be?? I know about Joel's possible floppy epiglottis and I know that things will be hard to resolve. I know that it is likely that Joel is going downhill. I know that the one plan we have is that they will send us home with a monitor for now and we can deal with the questions later when Joel has recovered from the virus. Really, what can go wrong?

And it started off pretty good. I was calm and reasonable. All the doctors were kind and trying to be helpful. No, it wasn't great, hearing about how Joel is likely getting worse, and all that sort of thing. But I am prepared for hearing most of this stuff, though it hurts. The bad news about the stats for surgery with children who have serious neurological problems. The mention of a trach. All that. I relax a bit. See? Why was I worried?

Then I find out my second really nasty surprise of the day. One of the doctors starts discussing how we should stop giving Joel steroids soon, as he had brittle bones and already had several fractions. SEVERAL??? Wait a minute?? So I correct the information, no, we SUSPECT he may have brittle bones as he has had ONE incident of a bruised bone.

Wrong. For the first time I hear that the DAMN x-ray has shown evidence of several fractures. Don't ask me for sure where or what sort, because by this time I am in a bit of a daze. I think we were talking about spinal fractures, at least, that makes some sense, but???

Blindsided with more bad news, and though I feel a mite foolish being unaware of the condition of my own sons bones (though NO ONE TOLD ME), my over riding emotion is that I just want to break down right there and cry because now my son had brittle bones and I am wondering things like: Was he ever in pain and I didn't know?? Is his spine now deformed?? Next time we dress him, am I in danger of breaking something else??

But the conversation moves on. To my last discovery. Turns out that I'm NOT getting an oxygen monitor at home. Something I had counted on. Something I had thought was actually already sort of a "sure thing." Not because I have assumed this. Because it was specifically stated to me...

And now, I am in a "discussion" about why a monitor is NOT a necessity, or even a good idea. Though to be honest, what I THOUGHT was going to be a discussion (which in my definition is a free exchange of ideas and information among 2 or more people) is actually feeling a bit more like an INTERVENTION.

Yeah. It truly feels like an intervention. Like the real purpose of the meeting was maybe more for a group of caring people to confront me with my addiction to optimism, hope, or unrealistic expectations, whichever way you want to say it. Like the real reason was not for them to work out a home care plan with me, but to tell me "Look, my dear, I know it is hard to accept, but your son is dying and there isn't much we can do, he's too far along, and any options we do offer, we really think are pretty crappy and you wouldn't want to go there anyway. We are trying to tell you as nicely and kindly as possible that you should just take your boy home and let him die in peace."

Look, I'm not saying that is what they WERE saying. I'm just saying how it SOUNDED.

And for a few minutes as I looked around I thought what I saw was a group of wolves wearing stethoscopes and sympathetic expressions as they slowly tore out my heart and devoured it. They were ever so sorry and they felt ever so badly about it all. If they had looked fierce I could have been angry and yelled and gave them a piece of my mind. But who can stand before such sorrowful wounding, before such regretful torture?

I felt so alone. So alone. Everyone was agreed (with the exception of one comment from someone who tried to help).

And they even made me feel bad about our partial DNR for Joel. Oh, they didn't intend to do that. But they really, truly made me feel crappy about it. Like they thought it was stupid and "half-assed," like we should make up our minds: Do you want us to try to save him or do you want us to let him go, in which case, Why do you want a monitor???

I felt so alone. I know that most of those men and women really don't have a clue what it is like. I know they think they are being kind. I know they WANT to be kind. And they are very good doctors. But I am the one who lives with Joel. I feel bad for them when they have to tell me stuff that isn't what I want to hear. I'm sure that is hard.

But sometimes I'm still a bit angry. After all, they get paid for this. There are a lot of different ways they can forget about Joel or make sure they don't have to deal with this sort of thing. I love Joel. When I take him home, no one pays me to care for him. There is no over time for me. If I walk away, not only is that questionable morally, but I would just be ripping my own heart out. I'll be the one to love him when he cries, or deal with a trach, or stay all night with my sick little boy. I'll love him, I'll bury him, and I will mourn him. I'm not saying that at night when they go home to their lives they don't feel badly. But it really is nothing like the same level of commitment, is it?

Whew. Done. That was quite a vent... Please don't think that I in any way feel that our doctors are not good doctors and good people. Steve and I have always been very happy to take Joel to Children's. We really feel it is a very good hospital.

But this blog is about honesty. And that is really how I felt today. Like a little sheep in a room of very nice wolves with sad faces and stethoscopes.

5 comments:

  1. Karen....im soo sorry. It made me soo sad to read this blog. How I wish I could have been there to sit with you and give you a shoulder to cry on.And cry myself. <3 you

    Sarah D

    ReplyDelete
  2. But but but just because he's dying and they don't want to code him doesn't mean you shouldn't monitor him! If he is desturating in the night even if you aren't going to intubate him, it would be nice to KNOW he is in distress and be there to position him, comfort him, give him oxygen or whatever-- that's basic and even palliative care. Sheesh. It's not like he can call out and say "hey Mom I'm having trouble breathing"
    At least with a monitor you could sleep with the knowledge that if he desats you can go to him and decide wether he should just be home in your arms or if he needs more care.

    I will freaking buy you one with my own money. Screw them. That makes me mad.Just because someone is dying doesn't mean they don't need care.
    I know you had good luck with your palliative care team; so I hope they will be able to set things up for you and Joel.

    For the record, I don't think you have had unrealistic expectations. I think you and Steve have faced this head on. It sure has been a lot to deal with in a short time.

    I'm so frustarted and sad for you and I want to talk to those doctors!

    I'd been advocating for patients in the ICU and PARR and wards for 10 years and now for Ben for 8. If I can help in any way let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Karen...I am soo sorry as well. Please know that you are all being prayed for. I was especially saddened to hear of the brittle bones and fractures as we experienced similar situations with Graham...2 broken arms within a month of each other and a broken leg the week before he passed. There was no fall or accident to speak of that could have caused it...it just was. And then...your mind does go to a wondering place of how many they may have been that you just simply missed all together.

    Is is a very "dark" place that guilt takes you too...even though you know that you have done your best..that thought of I could have done better creeps in. That "dark" place I believe is the doing of the devil and he is working on us all the time...to make us feel this way...to make us doubt ourselves...to make us feel like we have missed or messed something up.

    When these "dark" places creep in...know that we and God are here to turn the lights back on and brighten up the room. The light in the room may still be dull...but we will keep praying and praying and holding you, Steve, Caeden, and of course Joel up.

    I am so sorry that you are having to go through this...it sucks and it is hard. This disease is evil...but God is good and His plan..although sometimes not clear and painful to us...is PERFECT.

    Loving you Karen and praying for strength and healing all around.

    Tracy W.
    'Angel" Graham's Momma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Karen, what an awful day! I'm am so sorry that things aren't going well. I really don't think that you have unrealistic expectations. There is nothing wrong with having hope.

    I don't see the harm in having the monitor either. But, then again, we never did with Makenzie, mainly because I didn't want to know about every desat. When we left the hospital, she was always desatting. She was pretty bad, though, from the beginning. I always had her sleeping in a bassinet next to me, so that I could hear her if she was having trouble breathing. I'm a light sleeper, so any changes in her breathing would wake me. If we had to rely on my husband to wake though we would need an obnoxious alarm to go off.

    Anyway, my point is that only you know what is best for your family. For us, it was better to not have a monitor, but for you it may give you a better peace of mind to simply be with Joel, even if you wouldn't use any life prolonging actions. I just don't think it should be up to the doctors to decide that--especially doctors that haven't been in your position.

    I really wish I could give you a big hug right now. And I'm not really a huggy sort of person :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww Karen, Steve, we are hugging you from afar.

    ReplyDelete