Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Tuesday, June 22, 2010

personal story of a parent of a child with fatal genetic disorders

I'm titling my blog this way as a sort of "call out" for anyone out there in cyberspace looking to connect to someone else going through the impending loss of their child. If this is the first time you are visiting this blog: WELCOME! Please make yourself at home here, and I hope you find some things that encourage you or make you cry, but in a good way.

If you happened on my blog, and you are also going through a similar experience: if your child is chronically ill, if your child is terminally ill, or if you have recently lost a child, I would love to connect with you through this blog. Please feel free to read this blog as you wish, and I would love to hear a comment from you, even just telling me your first name and sharing a bit about your situation if you feel comfortable doing so.

If you are not "new" to this blog, let me explain. I discovered something about blogs, and mine in particular. I'll spare you all the details, cause they are pretty boring. Main thing is, (DUH - I am obviously NOT very good with all things electronic cause I didn't know this) I found out that you can type in searches on Google, and if a title of one of my blogs contains your search words, you may get my blog pulled up with the other sites you find.

I must reiterate - I am so naive! I didn't realize this. Or expect that a tiny little blog like mine could ever be pulled up in a Goggle search. Well, normally it isn't. I mean, it might be, but sort of kinda like when you put in a search for something and find 1-7,539 searches. Then if you actually went through the first 7,538 sites pulled up, there you would find me. That sort of thing. I tried it myself, and most of my blog titles just were not pulled up when I put in a search.

But I did find out that "Hospital Survival Kit" has generated a lot of hits. Because if you type this one into a Google search, there I am in the top five or six! I guess not that many sites deal with hospital survival kits. I'm guessing that the dads who were trying to figure out what to take to the hospital last minute when their wife went into labour might have been a bit disappointed with my site, but hopefully someone out there found something on it of some use.

This is a long story, so I will try to get to the point. First of all, I was sort of excited to see that one of my blogs actually might have covered something that people out there in general wanted to know, something that not too many other people had thought to put out there. In other words, it felt nice to think my blog might have had a brief and glorious moment of usefulness.

Second of all, I thought maybe I had discovered a possible tool to reach out and connect to other people. People who might be going through somewhat the same thing. And connecting to other people is something that I would really like to do. This blog has already connected me to some really super amazing people, and I am really grateful for that. People like you, Christina, I know you are reading this, and it is an encouragement to me that you do so, and that we share things in common. And friends from my support group. I have some loyal readers there, and I sure appreciate them. And there are those "background readers" who don't comment, but I know that a friend of a friend connected you, or something like that, and you are welcome too. I sure would love to connect with some more people who are sharing this painful and horrible journey. I'd love to be some sort of encouragement, some sort of support, or friend. And all that good stuff.

So every now and then I'm going to put out a "call out." I'm going to write a little blog with a name that might help people looking to connect to find this blog. And have a little welcome message. I won't bother to post an announcement on my Facebook, for those of you who get here from there, as you obviously already know about this blog and why bore you? But you can, of course, still read the messages if you want to, or skip em too. Whichever you prefer.

Maybe I won't get any hits from any of my titles. Certainly, there is a lot of info out there if you type in anything about loss or death, etc. And my blog really is very small potatoes. But if I even make one connection, it would be worth it for me. So please, humour me on this one! And if this is your first time reading, I'd love you to "sign a guestbook" by leaving a note in my comments. (even just saying you were just visiting)

No comments:

Post a Comment