Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Monday, March 28, 2011

Tomorrow

Tonight we are going to "view" Joel's body, and then the funeral is tomorrow. It's strange. It still feels surreal. Grief is a process, a work in progress. It will take time to sink in, time to deal with it all.


For now, God's love and peace are carrying us. We will still need lots of love and support from you in the days ahead. And I ask you not to stop sending your encouraging words of love and caring. I know you don't know what to say. That's ok. Just saying you are praying and loving and caring is enough. You would be surprised to know how much it helps and how much it means.


I don't know how many blog readers are going to be at the funeral tomorrow. But I wanted to tell you, if you are coming, that there will be lots of music. Not, for lack of a better word, the "fancy" kind. I hate to intimate that this means that rehearsing music makes it fancy, or to intimate that the music tomorrow has not been rehearsed, because my pastor and his wife have been practicing it with love.


What I mean, is that everyone attending is invited to sing along. And I don't know about you, but if I'm singing it, that puts it in the "amateur" department. I wanted to sing though. Perfect music is beautiful, but I wanted to sing. I wanted to sing for Joel, because he liked it when his mommy sang. And I wanted to sing for me, because I wanted to spend some time rejoicing in what God gave me when He lent me Joel. I wanted to spend some time rejoicing in how He carried me through the past 2 years, and to express my trust that He's going to keep carrying me through the remaining years of my life on earth. I wanted to sing, too, because while perfect music is beautiful, there is nothing more beautiful that the music that comes out of the depths of the heart. I wanted to sing for God too, in thanks for all He has done.


And so, I am inviting everyone who comes to sing. I hope some of you know the songs. Maybe some of you will learn them for the first time tomorrow. And if you don't feel comfortable singing or with the songs, you are then invited to listen and rejoice with us by doing that. Be ready for music though. Quite a bit of music.


If you can't make it to the funeral, I promise you that I am going to put it up on my blog, later on. I mean the poems, and what we say and also the video tribute to Joel's life. I'll put it all up on the blog, so you can see it there if you don't make it. Our church family has so graciously reserved us a beautiful get-away for two night, after the funeral. They are paying for everything.


So the three of us can get away to rest and regroup after all stress and emotional work of seeing Joel get sick, watching him die, and holding the funeral. If you have never done this, you have no idea how very exhausting it all is. So we are very, very grateful for this gift of love. A respite for us, in the middle of the storm. Refreshing ourselves before we have to learn to deal with living with out Joel.


That will be tough, tough work.


So, once again, I am declaring April as drop-in month. Not in the evenings so much, because Steve needs some time alone with us. But during the day. You can call first, of course, just to make sure it works. But I really think most of the time I will welcome visitors. I need the support. You are a lifeline of encouragement in a dark place. Yes, God is giving me peace and taking care of me. But you are one of the ways He does that. And thank you for being there.

5 comments:

  1. I don't even know you and yet I feel so deeply sorry for your loss. I have read parts of your blog and clearly you loved and treasured your time with your child. Thank you for sharing your story with others. It is amazing to me that you could share so much of yourself when dealing with one of the most difficult experiences a parent can deal with- the loss of a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is with you tomorrow even if I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying and singing thousands of miles away but doing the same because miles don't matter.
    Huggs Iris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and your family today as you lay Joel to rest. Many hugs.
    Karaleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you , but I will remember YOU and your courage, your love for your family, how you have help so many people by your example, and your sharing.
    May you be blessed forever, for the love you gave to Joel. As long as you write I will read your blog, but I hope sometime you will put it in book form. I will continue to prayer for all your family, especially Sylvia & Mert. from Joyce PEI.

    ReplyDelete