Welcome

This blog is my record of my journey with my son who had a rare, and eventually fatal metabolic illness. It is the story of the last year and a half of his life, his death, and after. I have shared this journey this in the hopes that is will not only help me come to terms with the realities, but also that someone along the way may find it helpful, as they face a similar journey.







This is my place to comment on events, blow off steam, encourage myself (and maybe you), share frustrations, show my love, grieve my losses, express my hopes, and if I am lucky, maybe figure out some of this crazy place we call life on earth.





The content might sometimes get a little heavy. As an understatement..







WARNING:







People who are grieving may write sad or difficult things and bring you down. This blog may not be for the faint of stomach or of heart. Read with caution and at your own risk.





If you are new to this blog, I suggest reading it from oldest to newest. It isn't necessary, as what I write is complete in itself. But this blog is sort of the result of the "journey" I'm going on, and I think it sort of "flows" better from oldest to newest.



I do hope that in the end you will find, in spite of all the difficult and heartbreaking things, things that are worth contemplating.





Welcome along!





Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Waiting for clearance to land.

Yup, I think we are in a holding pattern.



Joel is doing ok. He is mostly peaceful, with short and infrequent periods of being upset or unhappy. By short I mean usually only a few seconds to a few minutes. It's not great. But it is bearable.



We did take him in to emerg on Sunday night. We did have his blood checked and they did do a urine sample and both came back clear. There still could be an undetected viral infection brewing, his blood work was not as clear on that. Still, considering his lack of fever or other symptoms, and considering that he has been sick many times without this level of pain and upset, I'm pretty sure, as I always was, that he is not sick with a germ of any kind.



They also did a couple X-rays, but only of his spine. Each time he's had a buckle fracture in a limb, it became apparent within a couple of days that there was a particular limb associated with the pain, and we just haven't seen that. So we only checked his spine, which also has not changed since the last compression fracture. I'm glad we checked it, as now I don't feel quite so bad or worried about moving him.

But we, of course, didn't get any answers. They offered to admit Joel to run as many tests as we wanted. But when I asked if the doctor if he had anything in particular to look for, any ideas for an answer to the pain, he said no. He is a very nice doctor who has seen Joel numerous times, and I trust him enough that we decided there would be no point to a bunch of other tests.

It would be different if we hadn't already done this once, back when Joel was a year old. That time he was admitted and that time they did do a bunch of tests, but didn't find anything. I really couldn't see any point to a repetition of that.

So, we are up to a very high dose of morphine. Ok, I should say, what is comparably a high dose of morphine. The last two years we have never needed more than 2mg, or maybe 3mg occasionally for really bad pain. And we really haven't need it that much. Last spring we were almost completely "off" of it. But now we are, for the first time, using between 5 and 7mgs of morphine, and the Palliative Care doctor has given us permission to go higher if Joel is still unhappy.

I'm not too worried about the sedative effects. Joel is still completely wake-able. He is sleeping a lot, but then, pain tires him out quite a bit, and he tends to really sleep away the bad times, if he can. As long as I can still easily wake him (read, disturb him from his peaceful drowsing to an unhappy face with in 2 seconds), I know it's not too much morphine.

But it doesn't feel very good to know that his pain level is up that much higher, and whereas previously in times of pain, the 2mgs sometimes even got him smiling and playful, I haven't seen a smile in what feels like a long, long time.

We also started Risperadone. It's a drug that sometimes works in these sort of situations where there is a degenerative brain condition. I'm not too hopeful about it, though. I really haven't seen much difference in the two days we've been on it. I think most of the pain management is coming from the morphine. But we still have a couple of days left for the full effects to kick in, so I'm trying to keep an open mind about it.

I'm happy about the fact that Joel is here, in a comfortable and loving home, instead of in the hospital. I'm bummed out that he is feeling so yucky and that he doesn't even feel good enough at any point of the day to smile. This part of Joel's illness is so very, very hard. It is this part of the whole thing that I dread most, and that I find the most testing of my faith in Christ. These periods are the darkest. They are the times when I have the blackest thoughts. I'm not sure how to explain this. Depression? It just seems like the world is filled with so much darkness and pain. The glass seems half empty. It's like a very grey, wet day just before spring. The wind is sharp, everything is black and white, and all the light seems to filter slowly through this dark grey of cloud.

And I am very sad about it all.

So here we are waiting, circling the skies. I'm hoping that we can ride this pain through to the other side where there are more smiles and happiness for Joel. I'm hoping that as I carefully keep adjusting the morphine, I'll be able to extinguish more of the pain so that instead of just calmness, I see some sign of real relief.

It's hard to explain that. Joel isn't screaming or crying. He is calm and peaceful, and he is mostly sleeping. Yet I can still see that he is holding a ball of pain in him somewhere. It's barely distressing him. But I am waiting to see his hold loosen and the ball of pain slip out of his grasp and roll away. This is what I have not yet seen, that ease and relaxation when the pain completely rolls away.

Hard to wait for this to pass. I'm still keeping in close touch with P/C, I'll be emailing the doctor today. We will keep looking into ways to make Joel more comfortable than he currently is. There are other options to try. And sometimes it seems time is the thing in Joel's case. He's had so many bouts of pain (this being the worst) and whatever has caused it has passed, be it a day, a week, or a month.

So thank you for your prayers. And for the notes and encouragement. We appreciate them. You know I am honest here, so I'm not hiding anything. I'm saying that because I don't want anyone to worry that it's WORSE then it is. We are ok. I'm just sharing my feelings and impressions freely. And God has not abandoned us. He has not abandoned me. Even through this, I never feel abandoned by Him. One day He's going to make this all better. It's the waiting that is hard.

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you... I do hope this bout of pain goes away soon. It's tough to see your kid in pain and wonder if you are doing what you should be. I'm pretty sure I'd be doing all the same things you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen I know you might think I dont read your blogs anymore but I do! I just dont get a chance to as often as I use to. I dont get to do much now that my little guy isnt in school. But know I never forget about little Joel and im always thinking of you guys. Hang in there and of course callif you ever want to chat. XoXo

    Sarah D

    ReplyDelete